The right bathroom exhaust fan is a crucial component of every bathroom. There's nothing better than the peaceful retreat of enjoying long showers without a care in the world, but without the right fan, those soothing escapes can be potentially harmful to your health and even to your home. Bathroom exhaust fan works to ventilate moist air out of the bathroom and send it quickly outside, usually through the HVAC system. The moisture that typically accumulates in a bathroom creates an ideal environment for the growth of mold and mildew be damaging not only to health but also to the building materials in the home, such as wood framing or drywall. The best bathroom exhaust fan will solve these humidity problems, eliminating everything from mold and mildew growth, to steamy mirrors and peeling wallpaper and paint.
Top 12 Best Bathroom Exhaust Fan with Light Comparison Table 2016 - 2017
|Panasonic FV-08VQ5||14.9 x 15.8 x 10.2 In||0.3 S||14.70 W||60 CFM|
|Panasonic FV-08VQL6||10.2 x 10.2 x 7.4 In||0.3 S||14.9 W||80 CFM|
|Delta Breez GBR80MHL||11 x 11 x 5.8 In||0.8 S||12.5 W||80 CFM|
|Panasonic FV-08VRL1||12.8 x 8.2 x 7.5 In||1 S||20.5 W||80 CFM|
|Delta BreezRadiance RAD80L||14.4 x 8.2 x 5.5 In||1.3 S||10.5 W||80 CFM|
|NuTone 781WHNT||5.9 x 8.4 x 8.4 In||1.5 S||36.4 W||100 CFM|
|Panasonic FV-11VHL2||18.1 x 13.3 In||0.7 S||30.60 W||110 CFM|
|Panasonic FV-11VQL6||10.2 x 10.2 x 7.4 In||0.5 S||23.4 W||110 CFM|
|Broan QTXE110FLT||-||0.7 S||42 W||110 CFM|
|Hunter 83002||16.7 x 16.5 x 15 In||3 S||159 W||110 CFM|
|Panasonic FV-15VQL6||16.7 x 14.2 x 11.5 In||0.9 S||31.8 W||150 CFM|
|Panasonic FV-15VQ5||16.7 x 14.2 x 10.8 In||0.3 S||28.40 W||150 CFM|
1. Panasonic FV-08VQ5
|14.9 x 15.8 x 10.2 In||0.3 S||14.70 W||60 CFM|
Features of Panasonic FV-08VQ5
There are a number of attributes that makes this model of bathroom exhaust fan to be among the most desirable. These include:
1. Panasonic FV-08VQ5 has an inbuilt dolphin shaped bladed blower wheel which is designed to operate continuously and with consistent performance at low speeds.
2. This bathroom exhaust fan is also energy efficient because it has a power rating of only 120 volts hence can work effectively without increasing electricity bill.
3. This exhaust fan has a 4’’ detachable adapter, firmly secured duct ends and a 10 1/2’’ mount opening which leads to a user-friendly installation.
4. This Panasonic fan is protected from rust since it is made of heavy-gauge steel galvanized and well painted.
5. With an in-built damper to avoid back-draft, Panasonic FV-08VQ5 helps to prevent outside cold air from coming through it into the bathroom.
6. With a thermal-cutoff fuse, the fan’s motor is able to operate at lower temperatures, thus increasing the motor’s lifespan.
2. Panasonic FV-08VQL6
|10.2 x 10.2 x 7.4 In||0.3 S||14.9 W||80 CFM|
1. This bathroom exhaust fan is energy star rated.
2. It comes with a 4 watt night light.
3. Installation is hassle-free as it has a 4’’ or 6’’ double duct adapter.
4. The ventilation fan is UL damp rated which enables it to be used over the shower or bath tub.
5. The exhaust fan is made of steel.
6. The exhaust fan has an in-built damper which prevents entry of cold air.
7. A double hanger bar that the exhaust fan comes with makes placement and installation a walk in the park.
3. Delta Breez GBR80MHL
|11 x 11 x 5.8 In||0.8 S||12.5 W||80 CFM|
1. The fan also comes with LED lights which indicate humidity control.
2. For cost saving operation the ventilation fan is energy star rated.
3. The exhaust fan is rust proof as it is made of galvanized steel.
4. 3 years of warranty that is long enough to assure buyers its durability.
4. Panasonic FV-08VRL1
|12.8 x 8.2 x 7.5 In||1 S||20.5 W||80 CFM|
1. Provides an architectural design with powerful ventilation.
2. The exhaust fan is Energy Star Rated.
3. With quality components and permanently lubricated motor, the fan is durable.
4. Double detachable 4’’ and 6’’ adapters with secured duct ends make it easy to install.
5. An adjustable positioning of the lamp reduces glare.
6. The ventilation fan is UL listed therefore can be used over the shower or bath tub.
5. Delta BreezRadiance RAD80L
|14.4 x 8.2 x 5.5 In||1.3 S||10.5 W||80 CFM|
1. Comes with a 4’’duct adapter made of plastic.
2. Delta BreezRadiance fan boasts of a thermostat which is in-built for temperature regulation.
3. This exhaust fan comes with DC brushless motor which enables it to last longer.
4. Made of galvanized steel, this exhaust fan can withstand rusting.
5. This ventilation fan comes with Compact Fluorescent Light.
6. The ventilation fan comes with an in-built heater module which has a thermal cut-off fuse.
7. This fan is energy star rated.
6. NuTone 781WHNT
|5.9 x 8.4 x 8.4 In||1.5 S||36.4 W||100 CFM|
1. The fan is Energy Star Rated.
2. Has a white finish which makes it appear more elegant and also resist rusting.
3. With a white alabaster glass the fan looks more luxurious.
4. Has 4’’ and 6’’ double duct adapters for easy installation.
5. Comes with fluorescent bulbs to provide lighting at night.
7. Panasonic FV-11VHL2
|18.1 x 13.3 In||0.7 S||30.60 W||110 CFM|
1. Panasonic FV-11VHL2 is a one of a kind bathroom exhaust fan since it is a combination of a fan and also an inbuilt heater.
2. The fan also boasts of two 18-watt compact fluorescent lamps which provide good overhead lighting that is necessary for those taking showers.
3. With a larger double suction blower wheel, a great amount of air is easily circulated even at reduced RPMs.
4. Panasonic FV-11VHL2 has a totally enclosed condenser motor which ensures long life rated for consistent and continuous run.
5. This exhausts fan comes with an in-built damper which prevents cold air from getting in. This damper also controls systematized air circulation.
6. Panasonic FV-11VHL2 has a durable stainless steel of sheathed heating element which provides warm air once activated.
7. The condenser motor of the fan also has a thermal fuse protection that controls overload of power or regulates the power mains supply during a surge.
8. For effective transfer of heat and electrical insulation, the heating element has a Nichrome wire with magnesium oxide. This releases desired quantities of heat/warmth.
9. The housing of Panasonic FV11VHL2 is made of heavy-gauge zinc galvanized steel and is also painted to enhance rust-proofing.
10. This fan has a contemporary grille design.
8. Panasonic FV-11VQL6
|10.2 x 10.2 x 7.4 In||0.5 S||23.4 W||110 CFM|
1. The fan is able to provide light at night since it has an inbuilt 4 watt night light.
2. With an Energy rated 32 watt fluorescent bulb, Panasonic FV-11VQL6 has the ability to provide an extra overhead lighting at night with less energy consumption.
3. It’s easy to install since it comes with double 4’’ and 6’’ detachable adapter.
7. The fan is durable since it is made of rust proof galvanized steel.
5. This ventilation fan is guaranteed for a long life since it has a well enclosed condenser motor which cannot be damaged by water.
6. Panasonic FV-11VQL6 comes with an in-built damper obscures air from outside entering the ventilation fan.
9. Broan QTXE110FLT
|-||0.7 S||42 W||110 CFM|
1. The fan has an in-built fluorescent light and night light which is 4 watt.
2. Being an energy star rated device this exhaust fan has the ability of saving on electricity cost.
3. The fan is able to withstand moisture as it is steel galvanized.
4. Presence of hanger bars which guarantees easy and fast installation.
5. For long lasting operation the condenser is frequently lubricated.
10. Hunter 83002
|16.7 x 16.5 x 15 In||3 S||159 W||110 CFM|
1. It is damp listed to be used over shower.
2. Comes with a 5 year warranty.
3. This exhaust has a bronze finish.
11. Panasonic FV-15VQL6
|16.7 x 14.2 x 11.5 In||0.9 S||31.8 W||150 CFM|
1. This incredible bathroom exhaust fan features a night lamp.
2. With a double-tapered dolphin shaped bladed blower wheel the fan is able to move air quietly.
3. The fan guarantees you of a long trouble free operation since it has high quality components and a motor which is frequently lubricated.
4. This ventilation fan is Energy Star Rated.
5. Coming with a damper, it prevents cold air from coming through.
6. With detachable adapters 6’’ duct, it is easy to install.
7. Comes with an in-built thermal fuse protection.
12. Panasonic FV-15VQ5
|16.7 x 14.2 x 10.8 In||0.3 S||28.40 W||150 CFM|
Specific features of the Panasonic FV-15Q5 are:
1. The fan has an inbuilt damper that avoids back drafting and also protects a thermal fuse. This prevents electrocuting of the device circuit.
2. The general machine housing is aluminum galvanized to enhance rust-proofing since a bathroom has tiny particles of moisturized and oxidized air characterized with active rusting.
3. It’s also superior in performance and quiet operations at a quarter inch of water gauge.
4. Panasonic FV-15VQ5 is UL listed for shower or tub enclosure when combined with a circuit wire of GFCI. Hence offers the most desired lighting ability, whether for dry locations, damp or wet.
5. This fan has energy star IAP, an LEED, ASHRAE 62.2, a WA code for ventilation and Earth craft.
6. Its inbuilt long life-rated condenser can last for 30,000 hours nonstop.
Factors To Choose Bathroom Exhaust Fan With Light
Since there are so many bathroom exhaust fans out there, and it is so important to choose the one that is right for your bathroom's needs, there are some factors to consider before making your purchase. Some of the most important factors include size, air flow capacity and CFM, noise and sone rating, special features, ventilation method and efficiency, color and finish, and lighting capabilities, and we will discuss each of those in depth below.
Fan Size and Air Flow Capacity
Air flow capacity refers to the fan's ability to move air, and this translates to cubic feet per minute, or CFM. It is important that your bathroom exhaust fan has the ability to match the humidity accumulation that occurs in your bathroom, removing humidity and moisture at a rate that will not allow it to cause damage or become unhealthy. As a rule of thumb, the best bathroom exhaust fan should have a CFM high enough to replace the air in the bathroom at a rate of eight times per hour. Naturally this means that the bigger your bathroom, the higher CFM rating you will need to look for.
CFM ratings typically run from 50 to 110 CFM, and you will want to have at least one CFM for every foot of space in the bathroom. This means if your bathroom is 60 square feet, get best bathroom exhaust fan with at least a 60 CFM rating. If you're dealing with a large bathroom, consider these guidelines:
- 50 CFM for each toilet in the bathroom
- 50 CFM for every shower, bath, or shower and bath combo
- 100 CFM for every whirlpool
These rules can be especially helpful for bathrooms with a large number of appliances, or even for public and industrial bathrooms. It is important that the best bathroom exhaust fan strength is high enough to move air out of the bathroom even when the bathroom is large or handles a higher volume of activity.
Another quick calculation you can use is to multiply length times width times height of the room, and then multiply that number by 0.13 to achieve the minimum CFM rating you should be looking for. (L x W x H x 0.13 = minimum CFM rating). The size of the fan itself is related to the CFM and the amount of air that the fan is capable of moving, meaning smaller fans for smaller bathrooms, and larger fans for larger bathrooms.
This ensures that you will get the right amount of ventilation in your bathroom by using a fan capable of eliminating the amount of humidity that is accumulated.
Another important factor to consider when choosing the right fan is the amount of noise it creates. No one wants to hear a fan with the volume and intensity of a jet engine when they're trying to relax, so finding a fan that can do its job quietly is no small detail.
The sound produced by a bathroom exhaust fan is rated in sones, which essentially relates to degrees of loudness, or sound as it is sensed by the average listener. One sone is like the hum of the refrigerator in a quiet kitchen. If done properly, you can barely hear your refrigerator and don't even notice it's presence just by using your ears. This is the right idea! Two sones will be twice that volume, and so on. The best fans have a rating of 1.5 sones or lower. If you're looking at a fan that has a 3 or 4 sone rating, be aware that these fans will probably be a bit noisier, and try to steer clear of fans that have a 5 as their sone rating. Those best bathroom exhaust fans will be pretty loud.
These days there are bathroom exhaust fans to suit just about any needs or desires one might have. Your choices can range anywhere from the most simple, to a fan with all the bells and whistles. Depending on the quantity and type of special features, some fans are even installed with special wall mounts making it easier to set and use the various operations. What are some of those bells and whistles in the world when it comes to bathroom exhaust fans? Let's explore them here:
Motion Sensor Activation
This feature will turn on the fan as soon as it senses someone walking into the bathroom. This is a great way to ensure that the fan is active and doing its job no matter how quick or low maintenance the bathroom visit. The speed of the fan can be pre-set, so this will ensure the removal of moisture even during the smaller jobs like shaving. For more significant tasks like showering, the switch can be adjusted to a higher setting.
Lighting by Motion Sensor
Just as you can have best bathroom exhaust fan that turns on when it senses activity, the same can occur with lighting, or both. Plenty of fans have both the fan and light both operating on a motion sensor, or you can pick and choose whether you'd prefer one of those features to be manually operated instead.
Some best bathroom exhaust fans have an option for a lower-wattage night light setting. This will illuminate the bathroom dimly at night, preventing you from walking into a dark bathroom and helping you to find your way, while at the same time using minimal energy.
This is a feature that can be very helpful in keeping your home as comfortable and safe as possible. With the humidity sensor, the bathroom exhaust fan will automatically switch on as soon as high levels of humidity are sensed. This way, even if no one is showering or using the bathroom at the time, you can rest assured that humidity will be detected and eliminated before it even has a chance to get out of hand.
Plenty of fans also have built-in heating systems, allowing for added warmth during the colder seasons. This is typically done using Infrared heat lamps.
Ventilation Method and Efficiency
With efficiency being of growing importance in our world today, this has become a key factor to look for when choosing bathroom exhaust fans and other home improvement items. The most efficient fans will be those which have earned an Energy Star rating for efficient operation, and you can find this right on the label.
To earn an Energy Star rating, the fan must be approved by the Home Ventilating Institute (HVI). The fan meets Energy Star criteria when it is able to perform its duties using 60 to 70 percent less energy when compared to the energy used by standard fans. This is an important feature to look for, as it can significantly lower energy costs. Some fans achieve this by using DC (direct current) motors that manage to be less noisy while also using less energy.
In general, fans that meet the Energy Star criteria must meet qualifications for low wattage consumption, low sound emission, and powerful but efficient performance under static pressure. Quiet motors that perform at low noise levels are typically designed for higher efficiency. All in all, with an Energy Star rated fan, you're going to get more bang for your buck.
Color and Finish
Bathroom exhaust fan with lights can range anywhere from the most plain and simple, to elegant and decorative. No matter what style you're trying to achieve as you design your bathroom, there is sure to be a fan that suits your needs not only practically, but also aesthetically.
You can find metal fans with wire designs for a more elegant look. There are also a variety of metal fans made to give off a more modern, or even futuristic, feel. Look closely enough and you can even find fans with wood designs for a bathroom with a more rustic or natural vibe. There are glass fans for a more classic design. And there are fans that keep things plain and simple and just get the job done. Some bathroom exhaust fans with light fixtures are designed so that you can hardly tell they contain a fan. They just look like attractive ceiling lights, and little would your visitors know, those lights are incognito removing moisture in addition to lighting up the room.
No matter what your needs and desires might be when it comes to color and finish for your bathroom exhaust fan and light, there is a fan out there for you. Choosing the right color and finish ultimately depends on your needs and the style and look you are trying to achieve in your bathroom as a whole, so be sure to take other stylistic choices into consideration as you look for the right fan.
Unfortunately, there is not usually a great deal of light coming into bathrooms from the outside. Often this can be due to lack of windows, or small windows. It's important to balance this out by keeping your bathroom well lit with light fixtures, as the right lighting can set the tone for the bathroom and even make or break the mood it gives off. For example, if you like to relax in a warm bubble bath at the end of the day, maybe bright, fluorescent lighting isn't the best choice and you should look for something a little softer that can give off the right ambiance to create your desired setting.
Lighting can be selected to suit both your practical and stylistic preferences. Make sure the light fixture that is part of your bathroom exhaust fan is rated with a bulb strength that will be high enough to illuminate your entire bathroom. Again, the larger the bathroom, the higher the bulb strength you will need to light it up.
If you have an especially large bathroom, or an especially dark one, consider more lighting in addition to the light on your bathroom exhaust fan. Wall sconces are a great way to add a little more light in a subtle way, and these are perfect for creating ambiance and character. Another option is ceiling lights, which just like bathroom exhaust fans, come in a wide variety of colors and styles.
Time to Buy Your Bathroom Exhaust Fans with Light!
Choosing the best bathroom exhaust fan for your bathroom needs is not always an easy or straightforward decision. There are a lot of factors to be taken into account, not to mention some that can have long term effects on health and the quality of your home, so it is no decision to be taken lightly or made without properly educating yourself first. As you shop, don't forget to consider the important details outlined in this article with regard to size, air flow capacity and CFM, noise and sone rating, special features, ventilation method and efficiency, color and finish, and lighting capabilities. In the end, the most important thing is to have a healthy and comfortable home, and you are now better prepared to go out and choose the best bathroom exhaust fan that fits your needs.